Monday, December 27, 2010

Some Stories, Mostly About Animals

1. Recently I had a computer scare. My computer would start up and freeze on a white screen of a blinking folder with a question mark on it. I, along with my visiting host brother, Seymur, began attempting to unscrew the back of it to get at the insides to see if anything was loose. We paused, pondering whether the warranty would be void if we opened it, and decided to try it again. Seymur Fonzie-d it, tapping the side and back, and the screen went away! Slow at first, my computer finally came back from the brink. My heart began beating once again.

2. I have so missed having a pet that I enjoy the persistent company of the cat that lives with us. In the United States, I wouldn’t give the cat the time of day, in stubborn persistence and fear of allergies. Our dog, who lives outside, barked incessantly at me for the first week and wouldn’t let me touch her. And so I turned to the cat. Or rather, the cat turned to me…for food. Every meal, she loves to hop up to the back of my chair and make herself at home, mewing every now and then to remind me she’s there. But then, following dinner one day, she moved around and curled up in my lap. I had a moment of dread, imagining the itchy, swollen eyes and wheezing that could follow. But damn if that purring creature wasn’t the cutest thing I’d seen in ages. Update: the cat’s name is Chapgoz, which means “cross-eyed.” The dog is named after a famous artist, Bozdar.

3. The other day the dog finally let me pet him. I miss my Lucy and Nora, and while I will not be able to curl up with the dog while watching tv, I did have contact with a dog! She’s still a bit scared of me, and peed a little when I got close (in and of itself was a reminder of home). Next step, best friends. No matter what, both the dog and cat are better pets than the turkeys or ducks out back.

No comments:

Post a Comment